- Touch/Sound of Mother: Infants thrive through touch (premature babies who are touched and held gain weight faster and are healthier than babies who are not).
- Happier Babies: carried babies cry less!
- Babies’ Cues: Holding our babies close in a sling allows us to become finely attuned to their movements, gestures, and facial expressions. This cycle of positive interaction deepens the mutual attachment between parent and child,
- Bonding Tool for Fathers: Baby carriers are a great bonding tool for fathers, grandparents, adoptive parents, babysitters, and other caregivers.
- Comfort and Convenience: Take care of older children or do chores without frequent interruptions from an anxious or distressed infant. Save those arms and go where strollers can’t (Climb stairs,hike, and navigate in crowded airports)
Below you will find descriptions of a variety of wraps and slings. If cost is an issue, check out one of the many do-it-yourself slings/wrap sites on the internet. For example: http://wearyourbaby.com/Default.aspx?tabid=121 Wraps can be made for as little as $5! When making a wrap or sling, always invest in material and rings sturdy enough to support your baby, and ensure that all stitching is secure and reliable.
Wraparound Slings (Moby Wraps) www.mobywraps.com
A simple strip of cloth makes an elegant and comfortable baby sling. A little learning is required to wrap and tie the cloth, but basic methods can be mastered in minutes.
Ring Slings (Maya Wraps) www.mayawraps.com
Shawl with a pair of rings attached to one end. Rings replace the knot or tuck-and-twist method of fastening.
Pouch Slings (Slingsling) www.slinglings.com
Simply a tube of fabric with a curved seam, a pouch sling is a sleek carrier option.
Mei Tais (Maya Wraps & BabyHawks) www.babyhawk.com
Modern take on a traditional Chinese baby carrier with a body panel, shoulder straps, and waist straps
Soft Structured Carriers (BabyHawk Oh SNAP) www.babyhawk.com/Gallery/?Type=1
Also with a body panel and shoulder and waist straps, soft structured carriers replace knots with buckles.